12.07.2011

Holiday Soundtrack: Contemporary Christmas

I am one of those people who has Christmas music playing awkwardly relatively early in what is considered the appropriate "Christmas season" and I am often asked what my favourite Christmas albums are.

With so many Christmas albums out there, it's easy to become overwhelmed; I'll also be the first to admit that there are many-a-version of the classics that you should avoid [cue shopping mall PA music]. With that being said, I wanted to share a few of the albums on my holiday soundtrack. I play these contemporary gems on repeat between late November and New Years Eve. If you're looking to beef up your playlist I suggest you start here.

In no particular order...


A Very She & Him Christmas: How excited I was when I heard one of my favourite duos was coming out with a Christmas album; how happy I am to say I wasn't disappointed. This album is smokey, vintage, and altogether dreamy. Best served with a cocktail or tree trimming party.
(Available on iTunes & Amazon).



Songs For Christmas - Sufjan Stevens: This beauty was recommended to me last year by a blogger friend (thanks, Diana)! The album is 42 songs deep and perfect for playing as background music while you clean the house or drive between Kamloops & Vancouver. At least I enjoy it for those things...
(Available on iTunes & Amazon).



Hotel Café Presents Winter Songs: I love this compilation of amazing female voices, especially the title track by Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson and the closing medley of "Auld Lang Syne." Per-fec-tion.
(Available on iTunes & Amazon).



It Snowed - Meaghan Smith: Another new addition to my playlist, Meaghan Smith's album is very sweet. She's Canadian & adorable; you can't help but smile and bob your head to "It Snowed" and "Silver Bells."
(Available on iTunes & Amazon).



The O.C. Mix 3 Have a Very Merry Chrismukkah: This has to be my favourite contemporary album because there are so many awesome songs and if I started listing them I would list the whole soundtrack. Bonus: it's a great album to dance around to & the kiddos love it.
(Available on iTunes & Amazon).



Christmas - Michael Bublé: I'm including this album for two reasons: (1) my bridesmaid Angela would probably refuse to stand up for me at my wedding if I didn't and (2) it's a great traditional Christmas album. All jokes aside, I love the fact that his version of "Jingle Bells" (featuring the Puppini Sisters) sounds like something straight out of the past & that he and Shania Twain make a sweet Canadian duet on "White Christmas."
(Available on iTunes & Amazon).



There we have it: my favourite contemporary Christmas albums. Stay tuned for my favourite classics which will pop up on the blog next week.

What are your favourite Christmas albums, contemporary or classic?



(All images are courtesy of the artists' homepages and have been linked to within the post).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...